Vegan, Kosher, Gluten Free, High in Fiber, High in Protein
Also High in Vitamin A and Vitamin C and a Good Source of Calcium and Iron*
Recipe Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 Pita Halves
- 4 BFree Pitas, Halved Horizontally
- 2 1⁄4 cups of Chopped Organic Kale, Washed
- 1⁄2 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1⁄2 cup Cherry Tomatoes, Halved (about 16 cherry tomatoes)
- 1-15oz. can organic Garbanzo Beans, No Salt Added (preferably BPA-free lined can), like the kind by
- Eden, drained with the liquid reserved in a small bowl
- 3 tablespoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon of Organic Tahini, No Salt Added (stir to uniform)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cumin
- In a large pot over low to medium heat, add the chopped kale and 3 tablespoons of water. Cover and let steam for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor add the drained Garbanzo Beans, 3 tablespoons of Reserved Liquid from the can, 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of Lemon Juice, Tahini, Garlic, Salt and Cumin. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove kale from the pot, strain, and toss with remaining lemon juice.
- Assemble each pita half by spreading 2 tablespoons of hummus along the inside, and stuffing with 1⁄4 cup of lemony kale, and 1 tablespoon each of the carrots and cherry tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (1/4 Recipe, 2 Stuffed Pita Halves): 288 Calories, 4g Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 410mg Sodium, 326mg Potassium, 49g Carbohydrate, 12g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 12g Protein, 119% DV Vitamin C, 12% DV Calcium, 11% Iron